Thursday 29 March 2007

A Spiritual Dilemma.

Don says:
Hi Steve,
I am struggling to accept the the issue of vegiterianism and a non-alcohol existence. The Hare Krishna movement says that you must not eat meat or drink alcohol etc. Although I can go along with their philosophy, the above issues I find unacceptable. I am 72 years old, and for about 35/40 years have been seeking answers to questions regarding the reasons why I am on this planet etc. I drink socially which means that I drink maybe one or two pints of beer a week, sometimes this stretches to a pint in two weeks, so I am not an alcoholic by any stretch of the imagination! All my life I have eaten meat and fish, and at the ripe old age of 72 I don't want to change things. I am doing a Hare Krishna e-course at present but feel a bit of a fraud by reading the text each day, taking part by answering the set questions, but persisting to consume meat and alcohol, and omitting to chant 16 rounds of the Hare Krishna mantra before sunrise, or indeed any other time!
Please advise me on this issue and give me your views.
Sent with kindest regards, Don

Steve replies:
Dear Don,
You have presented an interesting dilemma. I guess my question would be why are you doing the Hare Krishna e-course in the first place? If you are after a spiritual practice there are many that do not demand that you become vegetarian or give up drinking. I am vegetarian and I do not drink, although that is my choice. If I was told to do it my heart probably would not be in it in the same way. Also you do not seem very motivated to chant 16 rounds mantra before sunrise. If you can work out what you are really after then you might find a better way to accomplish this. There are many choices available today in the UK that were not available say 25 years ago. You could always stop doing the course now! Sounds like you have anyway. There is always a better way. Hope this helps.
Blessings
Steve

No comments: