Thursday 22 February 2007

Give Yourself a Break!

A therapist friend told me a story about an unhappy client he had. After a couple of years of little progress he asked her whether or not she could remember a time when she had no problems and felt happy. The client thought about it for a moment and replied that she could remember a time a few years back when she had felt happy and problem free for a couple of weeks. Excitedly the therapist asked her what happened. She replied that she could not handle it. When I first heard this I thought it sounded like an extreme example of someone addicted to struggle. Yet I have found that many people, including myself, who are personal growth freaks have a covet belief system running that says growth is not about happiness it is about pain, sacrifice and struggle. Today I am going to give myself a break and enjoy the journey a whole lot more. Want to join me?

No comments: